Ahipara sits on Shipwreck bay at the southern end of ninety mile beach, and as the name would suggest is the site of many wrecks. At low tide some of these can be clearly seen. The Ahipara gum fields reserve is the site of ancient kauri forests and shows the land as it was at the height of this industry. Dalmatian and Bohemian immigrants came to the fields in the late 1800's in search of work and shipped vast quantities of gum overseas to be used in varnish and other products. St Clements Church was built in 1872 for the residents of the busy town.